Friday, August 24, 2007

ONE ROAD TO RICHES...

I decided about a year and a half ago to join a women's investment club. I figured it would force me to learn more about investing and I would get to make new friends (yeah). I have a stack of books at home all involving investing, of which I have read and implimented not a one! I am better at getting stuff done when I am accountable to someone else, plus it's more fun.

My friend Bonnie introduced me to the club I joined. The MONI CLUB was formed more than 10 years ago out of a book club. They were reading a book about the Beardstown Ladies who were famous for their investment savvy. They decided to spend their time teaching each other about investing instead.

We are now 12 girls who meet every 2nd Saturday of the month. We eat danish, gossip a little and talk about the stocks in our portfolio. We pay monthly dues of $75 each which creates the fund we use to buy stocks. The first year I spent just listening to what the girls were talking about, trying to make sense of it. I didn't put a lot into it, and I didn't get alot out. This past January I volunteered to be the Financial Partner (the one who takes care of the accounting for the club) and since have become inspired to learn more and participate actively in helping our group meet our goals.

The great thing about investment clubs is that you have access to people with different interests, jobs and life experiences from your own. The first thing any investment book will tell you is INVEST IN WHAT YOU KNOW. Now you have the power of what you AND everyone else knows to broaden your investment options. Plus it gets you out of the house, and did I mention DANISH?

Our club belongs to a larger investment community called BETTER INVESTING, the governing body for investment clubs all over the country. I have added a link to the site if you want to check it out.

1 comment:

1/2 dozen of another said...

I say to myself all the time that I will start investing as soon as I have some extra money...thanks for reminding me that even $75/month adds up and that we can start where we are with what we have! I love the blog!